In this environment of soaring expectations and depleted resources, a proactive approach to student services and special education matters has never been more appropriate. Our attorneys have the expertise to navigate you through this complex field of legal issues.
The Firm provides advice and counsel to school districts on student issues such as student discipline, free speech rights, bullying/harassment, student records, religion in schools, Civil Right (e.g. Title IX), search and seizure, drug testing, athletic eligibility, child protection laws, and other related matters.
We routinely draft, review or assist in creating student handbooks, student codes of conduct and board policies and procedures in this area. Given our extensive experience in this area, Kingsley Bogard attorneys are frequent presenters on student rights issues to school districts as well as educational organizations such as Association of California School Administrators and California Association of Supervisors (ACSA) of Child Welfare and Attendance (CASCWA).
- Student discipline (including harassment), investigations, withdrawal from school
- Student records
- Civil rights (e.g., Title IX)
- First Amendment, freedom of expression issues
- Instructional/legal issues
- Student contracts, student handbooks, individual behavioral contracts
- Board policy and administrative regulations
- Student permits/attendance
- Bilingual education
- Breach of contract
- U.S. Department of Education and Office of Civil Rights investigations
- Educational malpractice
Schools often face challenges regarding the appropriate provision of services to a student with disabilities. Kingsley Bogard regularly advises and represents school districts on a wide variety of special education issues that arise under California and federal laws. We work in a proactive manner with you to find reasonable solutions in the areas of due process hearings, state and federal court proceedings, Section 504 issues, state and federal complaint procedures, mediation, litigation and accommodations and modifications to existing curriculum and facilities.
When an acceptable resolution cannot be negotiated, our litigation experience covers the entire range of issues entailed in the special education arena. We have successfully handled administrative hearings, administrative appeals, judicial trials and appeals, as well as obtaining injunctive relief from the United States District Court.
We work in a proactive manner with you to find reasonable solutions in the areas of:
- Due process hearings
- State and Federal court proceedings
- Section 504 issues
- State and Federal complaint procedures
- Accomodations and modifications to existing curriculum and facilities
Kingsley Bogard LLP | 600 Coolidge Drive, Suite 160 | Folsom, CA 95630
(916) 932-2500 phone | (916) 932-2510 fax | firstname.lastname@example.org